The humble cottage pie has been a British favorite for more than 200 years and no wonder—it's a simple way to turn ground beef, fresh veggies and mashed potatoes into a huge, Free family meal!
- Serves: 4
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 55 minutes
- Ready in: Over 60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- 6½ cups (2lbs) potatoes, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 (14½oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sugar substitute
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Cook the potatoes in a pot of lightly salted boiling water for 12–15 minutes or until tender. Drain, return to the pot and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over high heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and stir-fry for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes, stock, sugar substitute and oregano and stir well. Bring to a boil then turn the heat to low and simmer for 12–15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a casserole dish and spread the mashed potatoes over the top, smoothing the surface with a fork (adding a pattern if you like). Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 25–30 minutes or until lightly golden and bubbling. Serve with your favorite vegetables.
Tip: If you are going to freeze the pie, freeze before brushing with the beaten egg.
To make what's called a Cumberland pie, process 1½oz whole-wheat bread in a food processor and sprinkle over the pie before baking along with 1oz of shredded reduced fat Cheddar (the breadcrumbs and cheese add 2 syns per serving).
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Slim your way through the holidays and start the New Year off right with our special savings! Join by January 17, 2016 and you’ll get $50 off the current membership price. That means 3 months of personalized weight loss support is yours for just $45. Plus, join with our Gold membership package and receive two free books!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.