Classic American burger and French fries
Tuck into this beefy favorite - a healthy twist on the quarterpounder! Add a Healthy Extra 'a' choice of gruyere cheese for even more flavor and serve with Free Slimming World fries.
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
(*Add 5½ Syns if not using medium whole wheat rolls as a Healthy Extra (1½oz))
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm/½ inch fries
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- low calorie cooking spray
For the salsa
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp artificial sweetener
- 4 tbsp water
- 1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 drops Tabasco sauce
For the burgers
- 3½ cups/1lb 12oz/800g extra lean ground beef
- 8 tbsp very finely chopped shallots
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 x 2oz/55g whole wheat rolls
- 4 lettuce leaves and 4 slices of tomato
- grated carrot and shredded red cabbage, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 475°F/240°C. Place the fries in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 3–4 minutes. Drain well on paper towels and leave to dry for about 10 minutes.
- Return the fries to the dry pan, cover with a lid and shake to “rough-up” the edges of the fries (this helps them crisp up when you bake them). Transfer to a nonstick roasting pan, spray with low calorie cooking spray and bake for 20–25 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile place all the salsa ingredients in a small pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 4–5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To make the burgers; place the ground beef, shallots, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in a bowl and, using your hands, combine thoroughly. Season well, divide into four, and shape into flat burgers. Spray the burgers with low calorie cooking spray, place under a hot broiler and cook for 5–6 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove and keep warm.
- To assemble the burgers; split the rolls in half and place a lettuce leaf and a tomato slice on top of each base. Top with a burger and some of the salsa, add the top half of the roll and serve immediately with the fries, some grated carrot, and shredded red cabbage.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Join before June 2, 2014 and get $30 off - that means 3 months' personalized weight loss help starts at just $65. Plus join with our Gold package and get a free Fast & Filling Family Feasts cookbook.
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.