Classic American burger and French fries
Enjoy this beefy favorite—a healthy twist on the quarterpounder! Add a Healthy Extra "a" choice of gruyère cheese for even more flavor and serve with Free Slimming World fries.
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
Add 6 Syns if not using Whole-Wheat Bread as a Healthy Extra.
- 4 large baking potatoes, cut into ½ inch fries
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- low-calorie cooking spray
For the salsa
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ small onion, minced
- 1 tsp sugar substitute
- 4 tbsp water
- 1–2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1–2 drops Tabasco sauce
For the burgers
- 1lb 12oz 95% lean ground beef
- 8 tbsp very finely chopped shallots
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (2oz each) whole-wheat buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of tomato
- grated carrot and shredded red cabbage
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Place the potatoes in a pot of lightly salted boiling water for 3–4 minutes. Drain well on paper towels and set aside to dry for about 10 minutes.
- Return the potatoes to the dry pot, cover with a lid and shake to 'rough-up' the edges of the fries (this helps them become crisp when you bake them). Transfer to a nonstick roasting pan, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and bake for 20–25 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile place all the salsa ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 4–5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- To make the burgers; place the ground beef, shallots, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in a bowl and, using your hands, combine thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste, divide into four, and shape into flat burgers. Spray the burgers with low-calorie cooking spray, place under a hot broiler and cook for 5–6 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove and keep warm.
- To assemble the burgers; split the buns in half and fill each bun with a lettuce leaf and a tomato slice, a burger and some of the salsa and serve immediately with the fries, grated carrot, and shredded red cabbage.
Tip: You can fry these burgers or cook them on the grill, too.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Slim down through spring and save $$$s too with our special offer! Join before June 1, 2015 and get $50 off - that's 3 months' personalized weight loss help for just $45. PLUS join with our Gold membership package and receive TWO FREE BOOKS!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.