Classic American burger and French fries
Enjoy this beefy favorite—a healthy twist on the quarterpounder! Add a Healthy Extra "a" choice of gruyère cheese for even more flavor and serve with Free Slimming World fries.
- Serves: 4
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Ready in: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
Add 6 Syns if not using Whole-Wheat Bread as a Healthy Extra.
- 4 large baking potatoes, cut into ½ inch fries
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Low-calorie cooking spray
For the salsa
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ small onion, minced
- 1 tsp sugar substitute
- 4 tbsp water
- 1–2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1–2 drops Tabasco sauce
For the burgers
- 1lb 12oz 95% lean ground beef
- 8 tbsp very finely chopped shallots
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (2oz each) whole-wheat buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of tomato
- Grated carrot and shredded red cabbage
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Place the potatoes in a pot of lightly salted boiling water for 3–4 minutes. Drain well on paper towels and set aside to dry for about 10 minutes.
- Return the potatoes to the dry pot, cover with a lid and shake to 'rough-up' the edges of the fries (this helps them become crisp when you bake them). Transfer to a nonstick roasting pan, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and bake for 20–25 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile place all the salsa ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 4–5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- To make the burgers; place the ground beef, shallots, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in a bowl and, using your hands, combine thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste, divide into four, and shape into flat burgers. Spray the burgers with low-calorie cooking spray, place under a hot broiler and cook for 5–6 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove and keep warm.
- To assemble the burgers; split the buns in half and fill each bun with a lettuce leaf and a tomato slice, a burger and some of the salsa and serve immediately with the fries, grated carrot, and shredded red cabbage.
Tip: You can fry these burgers or cook them on the grill, too.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
As the leaves drop this fall, you'll drop lbs, too, when you join by October 31, 2015 and save $50! That's 3 months of personalized weight loss support for just $45. PLUS join with our Gold membership package and receive TWO FREE BOOKS!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.