Chunky root vegetable ratatouille with basil potato dumplings
Put the ‘oooh back in food’ with this hearty stew. Packed full of Superfree veggies, it’s sure to go down a storm with the whole family.
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Total time: Over 60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- 1 large red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 280g/10oz carrots, peeled and cut into large bite-size pieces
- 280g/10oz parsnips, peeled and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 450g/1lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into large bite-size pieces
- low-calorie cooking spray, such as PAM Olive Oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 680g/1lb 8oz potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 400g/14oz tin whole tomatoes in juice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 200g/7oz bag prepared kale
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF/220ºC.
- Place the onion, carrots, parsnips, and butternut squash into a roasting tray. Spray the vegetables with low-calorie cooking spray and add seasoning. Stir well and roast in the oven on the top shelf for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 20 minutes, until tender. Drain well in a colander and place the colander over the saucepan. Leave the potatoes to dry out in their own steam. Mash the potatoes with a masher until smooth. Stir in the chopped basil and beaten egg. Mix well.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and add the tomatoes and garlic and stir in ½ cup/140ml/¼pt of boiling water.
- With wet hands, shape the herby mash into 12 dumplings and arrange on top of the vegetables. Cook the ratatouille and dumplings back in the oven for 30 minutes, until the dumplings are golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the kale in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 8–10 minutes and drain. Serve immediately.
Tip: Suitable for home freezing.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Join before June 2, 2014 and get $30 off - that means 3 months' personalized weight loss help starts at just $65. Plus join with our Gold package and get a free Fast & Filling Family Feasts cookbook.
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.