Chunky root vegetable ratatouille with basil potato dumplings
Put the “oooh” back in food with this hearty stew. Packed full of veggies, it’s sure to be a hit with the whole family.
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 2½ cups (10oz) carrots, cut into large bite-size pieces
- 2½ cups (10oz) parsnips, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 3½ cups (1lb) butternut squash, cut into large bite-size pieces
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1lb 8oz potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (14½oz) can whole tomatoes in juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10oz) bag prepared kale
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the onion, carrots, parsnips, and butternut squash into a roasting tray. Spray the vegetables with low-calorie cooking spray and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and roast in the oven on the top shelf for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 20 minutes, until tender. Drain well in a colander and place the colander over the saucepan. Leave the potatoes to dry out in their own steam. Mash the potatoes with a masher until smooth. Stir in the chopped basil and beaten egg. Mix well.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and add the tomatoes and garlic and stir in ½ cup of boiling water.
- With wet hands, shape the herby mash into 12 dumplings and arrange on top of the vegetables. Cook the ratatouille and dumplings back in the oven for 30 minutes, until the dumplings are golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the kale in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes and drain. Serve immediately.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Cool off your wallet and heat up your weight loss this summer with $50 off! Join by September 1, 2015 and get 3 months of personalized support for just $45. PLUS join with our Gold membership package and receive TWO FREE BOOKS!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.