Chili con carne
This scrumptious version of the Mexican classic means that you can enjoy a huge plateful of chili and a mountain of rice or a baked potato!
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time:
- Cook time:
- Total time: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh jalepeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 x 14½oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1¼cup/10floz beef broth
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ (15oz) can red kidney beans or chili beans, drained and rinsed
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Spray a large saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and heat over a medium heat. Add the ground beef and sauté until brown. Drain off the fat. Add the onion to the beef and cook gently until softened.
- Add the garlic, peppers and all the spices and continue frying, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and beef broth. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until the liquid is slightly reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the beans. Heat gently for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve with cooked white rice and a green salad.
Tip: A dollop of fat free plain yogurt on top is extremely tasty and, if you went overboard on the spices, it’s a great way to “cool” things down!
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Make your New Year's resolutions come true with Slimming World Online. Join before February 1, 2015 and get $60 off - that's 3 months' personalized weight loss help for just $35. PLUS join with our Gold membership package and receive TWO FREE BOOKS!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.