Chili con carne
This scrumptious version of the Mexican classic means that you can enjoy a huge plateful of chili and a mountain of rice or a baked potato!
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time:
- Cook time:
- Total time: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh jalepeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 x 14½oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1¼cup/10floz beef broth
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ (15oz) can red kidney beans or chili beans, drained and rinsed
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Spray a large saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and heat over a medium heat. Add the ground beef and sauté until brown. Drain off the fat. Add the onion to the beef and cook gently until softened.
- Add the garlic, peppers and all the spices and continue frying, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and beef broth. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until the liquid is slightly reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the beans. Heat gently for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve with cooked white rice and a green salad.
Tip: A dollop of fat free plain yogurt on top is extremely tasty and, if you went overboard on the spices, it’s a great way to “cool” things down!
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Slim-down through summer and save dollars too! Join Slimming World Online before July 31, 2014 and you'll save $50 on both our Gold and Silver packages. Sign up today - weight loss made easy for amazing life-long results!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.