Chili con carne
This scrumptious version of the Mexican classic means that you can enjoy a huge plateful of chili and a mountain of rice or a baked potato!
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time:
- Cook time:
- Total time: Less than 30 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 x 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 level tbsp tomato paste
- 10fl oz/½ pint beef stock
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1lb extra lean beef, ground
- 1 x 7oz can red kidney beans/chili beans, drained
- cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Spray a large saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and fry the ground beef until brown. Drain off the fat. Add the onion to the beef and cook gently until softened.
- Add the garlic, beef and all the spices and continue frying, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and stock. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until the liquid is slightly reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the drained beans. Heat through gently for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped cilantro leaves, with some plain boiled rice and a green salad.
Tip: A dollop of fat free plain yogurt on the top is extremely tasty and, if you’ve gone overboard on the chili, it’s a great way to “cool” things down!
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Join before June 2, 2014 and get $30 off - that means 3 months' personalized weight loss help starts at just $65. Plus join with our Gold package and get a free Fast & Filling Family Feasts cookbook.
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.