Chili con carne
This delicious, Free version of the Tex-Mex classic means that you can enjoy a huge plateful of chili and a mountain of rice or a baked potato!
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chili peppers, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 (14½oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1¼ cup beef broth or stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ (16oz) can red kidney beans or chili beans, drained and rinsed
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Spray a large pot with low-calorie cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the ground beef and sauté until brown. Drain off any fat. Add the onion to the beef and cook gently until softened.
- Add the garlic, chili peppers and all the spices and continue frying, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and beef broth. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until the liquid is slightly reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the beans. Heat gently for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve with plain cooked white rice and a mixed green salad.
Tip: A dollop of fat-free plain yogurt on top is extremely tasty and, if you went overboard on the spices, it’s a great way to “cool” things down!
If you're enjoying a Food Optimizing SP day, swap the rice or potatoes for at least half a plate of Speed vegetables or a large green salad.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Slim down through spring and save $$$s too with our special offer! Join before June 1, 2015 and get $50 off - that's 3 months' personalized weight loss help for just $45. PLUS join with our Gold membership package and receive TWO FREE BOOKS!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.