Butternut squash and bacon risotto
This brightly colored dish of butternut squash, bacon, and rice makes a substantial supper for four or a classic Italian appetizer for six.
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- 1 leek, washed and finely chopped
- 7oz/200g lean bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1¼ cups/9oz/250g risotto rice
- 14oz/400g butternut squash, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 3½ cups/1½pt/850ml boiling hot chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over a medium heat. Add the leek and bacon and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, rice, and butternut squash and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Add a ladleful of a boiling stock and stir and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding a ladleful at a time, until half the stock is used up.
- Continue to cook in this way until all the stock is used up and the rice is creamy and al dente (tender but still retaining a bite), and the squash is tender. This should take about 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season well and stir in the chopped chives. Ladle into warmed bowls and serve immediately.
Tip: Suitable for home freezing.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Eat, enjoy and slim-down this Christmas! Join Slimming World Online and save $30! That means three months' personalized support starts at just $65. Success is right at your fingertips!(Ends December 30, 2014)
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.