Butternut squash and bacon risotto
This brightly colored dish of butternut squash, Canadian bacon, and rice makes a substantial dinner for four or a classic Italian appetizer for six.
- Serves: 4
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Ready in: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- 1 leek, washed and finely chopped
- 7oz Canadian bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1¼ cups (9oz) risotto rice
- 3 cups (14oz) butternut squash, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 3½ cups chicken stock or broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over a medium heat. Add the leek and bacon and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes. Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil in a separate pot.
- Add the garlic, rice, and butternut squash and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Add a ladleful of boiling stock and stir, and cook until the liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat, adding a ladleful at a time, until all the stock is used up and the rice is creamy and al dente (tender but still retaining a bite), and the squash is tender. This should take about 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chopped chives. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
Tip: This dish freezes well.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Slim your way through the holidays and start the New Year off right with our special savings! Join by January 17, 2016 and you’ll get $50 off the current membership price. That means 3 months of personalized weight loss support is yours for just $45. Plus, join with our Gold membership package and receive two free books!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.