Butternut squash and bacon risotto
This brightly colored dish of butternut squash, bacon, and rice makes a substantial supper for four or a classic Italian appetizer for six.
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- 1 leek, washed and finely chopped
- 7oz/200g lean bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1¼ cups/9oz/250g risotto rice
- 14oz/400g butternut squash, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 3½ cups/1½pt/850ml boiling hot chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over a medium heat. Add the leek and bacon and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, rice, and butternut squash and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Add a ladleful of a boiling stock and stir and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding a ladleful at a time, until half the stock is used up.
- Continue to cook in this way until all the stock is used up and the rice is creamy and al dente (tender but still retaining a bite), and the squash is tender. This should take about 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season well and stir in the chopped chives. Ladle into warmed bowls and serve immediately.
Tip: Suitable for home freezing.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Make your New Year's resolutions come true with Slimming World Online. Join before February 1, 2015 and get $60 off - that's 3 months' personalized weight loss help for just $35. PLUS join with our Gold membership package and receive TWO FREE BOOKS!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.