Butternut squash and bacon risotto
This brightly colored dish of butternut squash, Canadian bacon, and rice makes a substantial dinner for four or a classic Italian appetizer for six.
- Serves: 4
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Ready in: 30-60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- 1 leek, washed and finely chopped
- 7oz Canadian bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1¼ cups (9oz) risotto rice
- 3 cups (14oz) butternut squash, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 3½ cups chicken stock or broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over a medium heat. Add the leek and bacon and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes. Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil in a separate pot.
- Add the garlic, rice, and butternut squash and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Add a ladleful of boiling stock and stir, and cook until the liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat, adding a ladleful at a time, until all the stock is used up and the rice is creamy and al dente (tender but still retaining a bite), and the squash is tender. This should take about 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chopped chives. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
Tip: This dish freezes well.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Slim down through spring and save $$$s too with our special offer! Join before June 1, 2015 and get $50 off - that's 3 months' personalized weight loss help for just $45. PLUS join with our Gold membership package and receive TWO FREE BOOKS!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.