Melanzane alla parmigiana
In this southern Italian dish, the eggplant is first cooked on a ridged grill pan to add more flavor before being baked with a wonderfully colorful tomato and cheese sauce.
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 (14½oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp sugar substitute
- 1 cup (1½ oz) basil leaves, finely shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium eggplants
- 8oz non-fat mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Spray a large non-stick sauté pan with low-calorie cooking spray, add the garlic and stir-fry over a medium heat for 1–2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, dried basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and sweetener and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in the basil leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cut the eggplants lengthwise, into ½in thick slices. Spray both sides with low-calorie cooking spray, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook in batches on on a non-stck ridged grill pan, for 2–3 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Place a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a medium baking dish. Cover with the eggplant and mozzarella slices then repeat ending with a layer of mozzarella.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25–30 minutes until golden and bubbling. Remove from the oven and serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Tip: If you don't have a ridged grill pan, you an use a large frying pan.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Slim your way through the holidays and start the New Year off right with our special savings! Join by January 17, 2016 and you’ll get $50 off the current membership price. That means 3 months of personalized weight loss support is yours for just $45. Plus, join with our Gold membership package and receive two free books!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.