Melanzane alla parmigiana
In this southern Italian dish, the eggplant is first cooked on a griddle to add more flavor before being baked with a wonderfully colorful tomato and cheese sauce.
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 25-30 mins
- Cook time: about 1 hour
- Total time: Over 60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- low calorie cooking spray
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 x 14oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp sugar substitute
- 40g/1 1/2 oz basil leaves, finely shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium eggplants
- 8oz non fat mozzarella cheese, sliced
- chopped parsley, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 320°F.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with low calorie cooking spray, add the garlic and stir-fry over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, dried basil, oregano, chili flakes and sugar substitute and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in the basil leaves and season well.
- Meanwhile, cut the eggplants lengthwise, into 1/2inch thick slices. Spray both sides with low calorie cooking spray, season and cook in batches on on a non-stck griddle, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Place a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a medium ovenproof dish. Cover with the eggplant and mozzarella slices then repeat ending with a layer of mozzerella (you'll have roughly 5-7 layers).
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbling. Remove from the oven and serve garnished with chopped parsley.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Make your New Year's resolutions come true with Slimming World Online. Join before February 1, 2015 and get $60 off - that's 3 months' personalized weight loss help for just $35. PLUS join with our Gold membership package and receive TWO FREE BOOKS!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.