Melanzane alla parmigiana
In this southern Italian dish, the eggplant is first cooked on a griddle to add more flavor before being baked with a wonderfully colorful tomato and cheese sauce.
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 25-30 mins
- Cook time: about 1 hour
- Total time: Over 60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- low calorie cooking spray, eg PAM
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 x 14oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp sugar substitute
- 40g/1 1/2 oz basil leaves, finely shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium eggplants
- 8oz non fat mozzarella cheese, sliced
- chopped parsley, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 320°F.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with low calorie cooking spray, add the garlic and stir-fry over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, dried basil, oregano, chili flakes and sugar substitute and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in the basil leaves and season well.
- Meanwhile, cut the eggplants lengthwise, into 1/2inch thick slices. Spray both sides with low calorie cooking spray, season and cook in batches on on a non-stck griddle, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Place a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a medium ovenproof dish. Cover with the eggplant and mozzarella slices then repeat ending with a layer of mozzerella (you'll have roughly 5-7 layers).
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbling. Remove from the oven and serve garnished with chopped parsley.
You'll discover 100's more recipes with Slimming World Online!
Slim-down through summer and save dollars too! Join Slimming World Online before July 31, 2013 and you'll save $50 on both our Gold and Silver packages. Sign up today - weight loss made easy for amazing life-long results!
Visit www.slimmingworldusa.com/online to get started today.